Tuesday, April 24, 2012

2nd Great Grandfather Allen J. Collett


Pictured above is my maternal 2nd Great Grandmother Cornelia Enphrazine Correll, who married Allen J. Collett on November 1, 1875.  We know a lot about Cornelia's family but little about the Collett family. Several years ago I got in touch with Loyd Collett, who wrote a book about the Collett family, but he knew little of my line. What we do know is what my Great Grandmother Annie Collett Belk told us, as well as the few records I have found on the family.


Allen J. Collett was born to Ezekiel Offerd Collett and Catharine Black in Davie County, NC, on November 15, 1852. I have found records that Ezekiel and Catharine were married on December 18, 1835 in Davie County, but have found no information on the Black family.


In approximately 1864, Allen "Ally Jay" Collett was working in the fields in Davie County. His father was possibly at war but I can not find a record. (Ezekiel was a commonly used name in the family and there is a nephew Ezekiel with Civil War records.) Allen's mother was at a neighbor's house and he was the only one home. A man stopped on the road in a 'fine' horse and buggy and asked Allen if he'd like to go for a ride. Introducing himself as a minister, Allen readily agreed to go for a ride. The man took him to his home in Litaker Township, Rowan County, NC (about an hour drive today) where Allen lived until he married, never seeing or hearing from his family again.


From all accounts, Allen had a happy marriage, raising seven children (eighth died as a infant), including my beloved Great Grandmother Annie Collett Belk.
My grandmother said he always spoke fondly of his family and never understood what happened. As far as we know Allen was treated well by his 'adoptive' family, though he always said he was 'stolen from the fields'.

After I joined ancestry.com and started researching the census I found Allen in 1870 living with the Allen Hooker Family in Litaker Township. Allen Hooker, a farmer and miller, is apparently the child thief. Allen J. Collett is enumerated on the census as Collett Alla Jay Bostran. One thing that verified that it was my grandfather was that my grandmother was one of his neighbors. I am guessing Bostran is actually Bostian, Mrs. Hooker's maiden name, and they were passing him off as a nephew. 


Allen was loved. His mother disappeared after the 1870 census. He had two siblings that married siblings and they moved to Virginia along with Allen's father Ezekiel. His sister Charity named her first son after Allen and even called him Ally Jay. I have been unable to find any death information or graves for my 2nd great grandfather's family.








No comments:

Post a Comment